Monday, June 18, 2012

This is the life!


The weather is about as good as I could wish for, but the scenery is just staggeringly beautiful. The whole city of Salamanca is built of golden sandstone and is wonderfully clean and friendly. So much history took place here. Christopher  Columbus bargained with Queen Isabella to finance his voyage and exploration of the new world from right here in these cathedrals and public buildings. He was also educated here at the university.




From the ancient roman bridge to the modern and commodious parks and plazas. It is so inspiring to walk these streets and byways. This place is such an inspiration to artists and writers and great thinkers, not just now, but down thru the ages. Life here is not hectic, rarely even hurried. People respond to each other, converse with each other, and celebrate with each other. the sound of children's voices permeate the evening air, running, playing among the throngs. There are street musicians, and sculptures, and statues almost around every corner.  Libraries, museums, art exhibitions, concerts in the plazas, side-walk cafes, even middle-of-the-street restaurants. People gather to nibble, imbibe, and casually consume every kind of food and drink, in public, with everybody.  How can one not love this?  As much as I love my country,  we simply have nothing like this to compare to. I imagine in the old neighborhoods of New York, people lounge out of their balconies over the the street and and alleys in a Norman Rockwell vision of togetherness with their neighbors, but I think they must have invented it here. I suspect that is at the heart of why we Americans are so drawn to re-experience the 'old country', our European roots. I find myself feeling I have returned to my 'true' home.  My experience on this planet would have been so much less rich, even incomplete, without this.  Certainly, not just Salamanca, but the entire gamut of these delightful historic, origin-of-civilization places and countries of Europe.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment